Hyper-producтiоn of doctors of science and masters
Kosovo is not that attractive country to forge diploma, because even the diploma issued by the universities in the country have not received the final status and are not valid in Macedonia, and many other countries. In the Ministry of Interior and Education they have discovered only two falsified diploma from 2000 to 2006.
But the number seems bigger, because diplomas from Pristina University have been provided to officials from Albanian political parties in Macedonia.
- Most interested were the candidates for directors of secondary and primary schools. First they have obtained diploma from the advanced schools in Peja and Mitrovica, and then they came to Pristina to obtain university diploma, said a professor from Pristina University, who insisted on anonymity.
According to him, many prominent Albanian politicians in Macedonia, who ceased their studies in 1989 (when Belgrade cancelled the right for education in Albanian language), took the diploma after 1999, using the political connections in Pristina.
He says the Albanians from Macedonia are more interested in getting master and PhD degrees, required to get employment in the State University of Tetovo and South East European University.
In Kosovo the Ministry of Education have no data on falsified diploma, but they keep an eye on the officials in Pristina University because around 50 candidates obtained master and doctor degrees in one year.
- In this institution, 315 persons got the title doctor and 502 the title master in the period from 1990 to 2006.
According to the Ministry’s official, many of these candidates have bribed the professors for the grades and their doctor or master dissertation were a plagiarism or they paid to other professors to prepare these dissertations.
The newly appointed rector, Encer Hasani, on a public debate in Pristina, admitted that the doctors and masters after 1999 were the trickiest issue.
- The phenomenon of plagiarism is widely present at the University in Pristina. The worst is at Law and Economy School. The foreigners in the commissions cannot even imagine that the titles from Pristina University are obtained in illegal way. They do not know that even local professors are involved in this administrative hoax.
The fake titles surfaced with the case of master degree issued on behalf of Naser Ademi, who also worked as a dean at the Law School at Tetovo University. After the plagiarism was discovered, the Law School started to review the case and the complaint has already arrived to the Ministry of Education in Kosovo.
In 2000 Ademi defended his master thesis “Criminal act of Irresponsible Treatment of Patient,” which was then published as a book by the now late professor at the Law Faculty Fadil Batali. There are 18 completely same pages in these two publications.
Anonymous professor at Pristina University, close to the late Batali, says that Ademi was copying from Batali’s scripts before the book was published.
- The late professor gave the scripts to Ademi as one of his students, and then he without any consultation has presented it as his own work in the master thesis, he added.
On the other hand, Naser Ademi says that he has not committed plagiarism because Batali’s book was published two years after he has become master.
- I worked on this topic before him and I am the first author, he says.
While Ademi continues to work in the State University of Tetovo and is pursuing PhD studies in Tirana, Pristina continues to produce problematic doctors and masters. In this inverted system of values the main victims are the students of the Universities in Albanian language, both in Kosovo and Macedonia.
In the meantime, a report from the International Crisis Group, published in February 2006, focuses on the low standard of graduated students in Pristina. According to the report, these graduates are not prepared, have no options for employment and are not ready to work in the state institutions.